-c gear & stones
    -d
    belt sets
    -e belt pets and boss cards

-f skills

5 pets

6 YouTube channel

1 prologue
    I figured it was about time for some reworking of this guide. I've decided to rework it meant for 160+ based on the questions I get most often. The old guide meant for new players that are starting out as a fresh templar is posted here: http://forum.webzen.com/forum/en/rap...15#post2241115

2 main builds
    At 160+ most templars are either using an attack speed build or using a salvation setup to spam Holy Ground at 0 CD. The attack speed build relies on auto attacks and patk while the salvation setup relies on very fast clicking and matk.

The attack speed build is more lazy and more common. Templars get more hp and most of their damage is single target which makes it better suited to tank bosses.

Killing in a salvation setup requires a lot more clicking and it's not something everybody likes to do. It has a much better AoE hold and the biggest downside of it is that the matk mod on Holy Ground is small and it will be very ineffective against high mdef mobs.

3 attack speed build
    -a attack speed plateaus

Attack speed works in plateaus. That means that they work in ranges in which adding more attack speed will not make you hit any faster unless you get to the next plateau. The highest plateau I found is 959 attack speed. This will allow you to do 8.2 attacks per second. The 2nd best plateau is 502. Adding more attack speed to it is pointless as long as you do not get enough to make 959.

-b talent points
    The most common setup for 5 TP is 3/0/2. For 6 it's 3/1/2 and for 7 it's 3/2/2. There are some variations possible, but putting at least 2 in the first tree is a good idea because righteous purpose gives you a large amount of p and matk and some added hp. From the last tree Active Guard, Thorned Shield and Zeal are the most interesting skills. Zeal is a passive that allows you to move faster which is very helpful in a lot of the run style dungeons and increases your vit while wearing a shield. ​​​​Thorned shield is a passive that converts block rate to attack speed and block def to patk.Active Guard is a self buff that adds a % to your block rate. The high amount of block rate coupled with the conversion to attack speed is the main reason why templars can get such high attack speeds. The main benefit of the center tree is that it ups your p and matk and gives you a small amount of attack speed.

If you have a lot of spare attack speed and don't really need the running passive, you might want to try out a 3/3/1 setup.

-c increasing attack speed
    There are a lot of ways to increase attack speed on a templar. Because Thorned Shield is a non MC passive anything that increases block rate, boosting your block rate would increase your attack speed. So enhancing your shield higher, getting block rate on your boots or armor or belting a gnoll would work. Active Guard adds 1.8% block rate per level and card +. You can increase your block rate slightly by getting a better card or swapping to Active Guard PW pieces just to buff to up the level. Using Thorned Shield pieces would up your increase your attack speed by 10% of your block rate, but doing so is not ideal since it would mean having to fight in this gear.

Other ways to increase your attack speed are by increasing your Shield Mastery (+1 unmodified block rate), Active Guard (1.8% bonus block rate) and Thorned Shield (10% of total block rate to attack speed) by using a DT buff, an additional +1/2/3 skill levels from +20/22/24 helmet or by using a physical deva bear belt. The bear belt is only ideal if it allows you to get a plateau that you would not otherwise get.

Higher skill levels in Devout Fury from TP or PW gear and Shield Mastery from PW gear would help a bit, but I'll ignore those for now. It's a small increase and usually not worthwhile.

Those are all the Templar specific attack speed increases. The attack speed increase you get from block rate is not affected by attack speed % increases. The other part of your attack speed can be increased in a similar way to every other class. Attack speed or agi buffs & consumables, agi & att speed awakenings, agi & attack speed dura and belt pets. DT pot is also very helpful.

-d gear & stones
    Righteous Purpose PW gear is ideal if you can get 959 with a full set. It gives you a large p and matk bonus as well as an HP increase that makes this a perfect setup. If you can not get enough attack speed otherwise it might be worth it to use 1 or 2 pieces of Thorned Shield.

The most ideal armor bonus on gear is:
    - chest 300 acc or 10 cp (+max hp, 4 slot or 3 slot with vit). Block rate might help hitting plateaus and perf block can give a big defensive boost.
    - gloves 300 acc, 10 cp and attack speed (3 slot). Macc is somewhat useful just like patk or pignore.
    - boots 20 ms, 6 perfect block, evasion (3 slot). Evasion doesn't really do anything if you plan on going higher content and block rate might be helpful for reaching plateaus.

Such gears are very expensive. I mainly added them because I get asked about them a lot. I wouldn't bother with the stats much if you're starting out.

mace and shield:
    - 24 str/vit or 4/3% matk/patk dura. The patk% dura is the most popular one, but it isn't that useful. At or below +23 gear the full str/vit one gives you more patk. The bonus from it might be lower on +24 depending on your setup and slightly less at +25.
    - acc very nice for high content. Iirc the range is around 40-130
    - pdef or eva. Not a must. Pdef would also give a small boost to patk and the evasion is useful for low stages and less tough content, but useless for the high ones.
    - max hp. Not a must. Small damage boost and slightly more survival.
    - cp. Guaranteed stat and it ranges between 12.5 and 20.

Shields get either perfect block or block def. Perfect block can make it a lot easier to kill bosses while block def is usually better if you are fighting a lot of low damage doing mobs.

It's useful to get some buff gear for Active Guard and to a lesser extent Blessing.

Stone wise go with full crit and fill the rest up with vit.

-e belt sets
    The 3 most common belt sets are Endairon, Anessa and Physical Deva Bear belt. They all have their uses and it depends on what you want to do.

- Endairon set: ideal for boosting your damage while killing high pdef monsters. For example: Revived Bosses, Island of the Gods bosses and RoA mobs.

- Anessa set: ideal for boosting hp and being able to survive. Especially if your armor is low this could be a good option.

- Physical Deva Bear belt: only useful if you need the added attack speed. It can be a great addition to make you hit a plateau, but if you don't need it for that either of the other belts will be more useful.

-f belt pets and boss cards
    People love to ask me what the best pelt pets are, but there's no universal best belt set. It depends on your setup and where you want to kill.

The only universal thing for a 3 slot RP setup wanting to do damage is this:
    get enough attack speed to make plateau > get enough acc to not miss (often) > max vit+pdef > max str+patk (> max int + matk)

The int+matk only gives a tiny boost and wouldn't normally bother with it.

How much att speed you need depends on your setup. I currently don't have to belt any attack speed pets on my templar to reach 959, but I had to in the past. It depends a bit on your gear what gives more attack speed, but usually they are ordered like this: skell > harpy > gnoll.

Acc is another thing that varies based on your setup and where you want to kill. I use no acc increases in PW, some in RoA and max it for Island of the Gods.

Belting evasion pets can be very useful if you are killing in PW, low stages, temple dungeons or fields. It is however extremely pointless to do so for RoA or Island of the Gods.

The best boss card to do damage is Mephisto. Soul of Lunacy is a very good defensive one. Medusa card can be useful if you need more threat. A crystal golem card can help out if you are partying and need more hp to be able to survive. Don't waste your rupees on a hector card because they are currently useless.

-g skills
    You won't be using a lot of them. The main source of damage will be auto attacking. I'll list the ones I consider most useful.

- all self buffs: divine cluster is extremely useless. I often don't recast it and wouldn't bother investing in a card. The others are good and worth gettign a card for.
    - Holy Ground: very useful target AoE. In a RP setup the main damage it does is patk based and it is your main source of AoE damage
    - Holy Aura: toggle that damages mobs standing close to you based on your patk
    - Provoke: Threat toggle that increases the threat of your auto attacks.
    - Hate Aura: a short CD skill that you can use to drag mobs on you that haven't been attacked yet. Best used to draw mobs that might have been added to standing to close pets or party members. If you are using an impact amp, using this skill would also chip all mobs in the area.
    - Heaven's Madness: short CD ranged AoE. It is best used when AoEing and not on single targets.
    - Spell Intercept: this skill allows you to cancel a spell. It's pretty hard to get the timing right at first, but you can use it to for example prevent a PW Takin from using his AoE or to prevent a Hector in RoA from summoning his goons. Getting a card for this skill helps.
    - Godly protection: long lasting damage reducer. It is very helpful if you get hit hard. There are certain types of damage it does not do anything against.
    - Deflecting shield: emergency high damage reducer with a longish cd. Very useful skill.

Other skills worth mentioning:
    - Shield Charge: rush and stun attack. It's a cool skill and though it can be very useful in various situations, it can also be pretty pointless in many others.
    - Judgement of Heaven: AoE stun. This can be a good addition when AoEing, but it has a long CD as well.
    - Other stuns. I mainly use them to save other people, but I hardly ever use them.
    - Restrain: high movement debuff. I haven't used this in ages, but it is a skill worth mentioning. It's best used if you end up in a situation where a party member has aggro on a non ranged mob and you can't get aggro off him and you can't stun it.
    - Mental Breaker: skill to get mp back. You shouldn't really need this in a full RP setup.
    - Physical & Soul Breaker: somewhat useful debuff on bosses if you are partying.

4 salvation build
    -a how Holy Ground works

You can target this skill to an area. Mobs in the area will get hit by matk damage every when the field is cast and every 3 seconds after. The skill use macc (with a +mod) to check if it lands a debuff. The debuff ticks for patk damage, but in a salvation setup the skill is renewed so that it only does matk damage. Check this link for more info on how the skill works: http://forum.webzen.com/forum/en/rap...432#post122432

-b talent points
    You only get Holy Ground if you put 3 TP in the first tree, so that is a given for this setup. If your gear is low, you would get the most patk from adding points in the 2nd tree. The most notable skill from the third tree is zeal which ups your movement speed while wearing a shield. Various TP setups are used in this build, but don't put 3 in the last tree. It is extremely useless..

-c gear & stones
    You can only use this setup with 3 parts salvation.

The most ideal ones are:
    - chest 300 macc, 10 cp (4 slot or 3 slot with int or vit)
    - gloves: 300 macc and 10 cp (3 slot)
    - boots: 20 ms (3 slot)

These are max values and don't bother about the stats if you can't afford to. The other stats don't matter as much for most setups, but they can help. Weapon and shield wise it depends a lot on what you want to do and what you can afford. There are players using 1h staff and magewal , 1h staff and shield, 2h staff, 1h mace and mw or 1h mace and shield using this setup.

Depending on your armor enhances and what you fight, you might be able to survive without a shield. A MW counts as a shield and you are able to use and benefit from any shield skill while wearing one. That makes using a MW and 1h staff the better choice compared to a 2h staff. You can also block and block perfect with a MW which might make it worthwhile to get block rate and/or perfect block on boots or chest piece.

A 1h staff and magewall would give you the most matk if they are +25.
    -24 int + 6% int
    - macc very nice for high content. Iirc the range is around 40-130
    - max hp . Not a must. Small damage boost and slightly more survival.
    - cp . Guaranteed stat and it ranges between 12.5 and 20.

A mace would give you more matk compared to a staff at low values if you put TP in the 2nd tree.

For mace.and shield aim for these duras:
    - 4/3% matk / patk
    (- acc very nice for high content. Iirc the range is around 40-130) This is mainly useful for mental breaker.
    - pdef or eva . Not a must. Pdef would also give a small boost to patk and the evasion is useful for low stages and less tough content, but useless for the high ones.
    - max hp . Not a must. Small damage boost and slightly more survival.
    - cp . Guaranteed stat and it ranges between 12.5 and 20.

It's useful to get some buff gear for Blessing and to a lesser extent Active Guard.

Stone wise go with full crit and fill the rest up with vit .

-d belt sets
    You'd expect a Marbas set to be useful for it, but it wasn't doing much when I tested it. I'm not sure if it's because of poor testing or if it is really useless.
    What I liked most was a physical belt, but there might be better options available. I didn't find any that had a big boost in usefulness. If you go with a physical, I would suggest crazy clown earrings that fireball on getting hit.

-e belt pets and boss cards
    The most ideal setup is with 3 s1 WD's. Depending on your other gear you might want a macc soul pet or 2. For a cheap 4 slot setup belt 3 staged angels and a mephisto boss card for damage.

The best boss card to do damage is Mephisto. Soul of Lunacy or crystal golem card can help out if you are partying and need more defensive stats. The HoT from Lunacy will not proc on HG spams. Don't waste your rupees on a hector matk card because they are currently useless.

-f skills
    In this setup you really only use Holy Ground for damage. Because of that it's good to invest in a good card for it. If you use it on prolonged boss fights you can spam very fast for 3 seconds, followed by 9 seconds of waiting and repeat this. Once again this setup isn't effective against high mdef targets at all.

Apart from self buffs the only other skills that are worth using are:
    - Onslaught: optional 2nd tree TP skill. It adds a good amount of matk and mpierce, but it drains mp
    - Mental Breaker: skill to get mp back. (Melee weapon only)
    - Godly protection: long lasting damage reducer. It is very helpful if you get hit hard. There are certain types of damage it does not do anything against.
    - Deflecting shield: emergency high damage reducer with a longish cd. Very useful shield only skill.

Somewhat useful skills:
    - Holy Aura: toggle that damages mobs standing close to you based on your patk
    - Spell Intercept: shield only skill that allows you to cancel a spell. It's pretty hard to get the timing right at first, but you can use it to for example prevent a PW Takin from using his AoE or to prevent a Hector in RoA from summoning his goons. Getting a card for this skill helps.
    - Restrain: high movement debuff. You can debuff a boss and kite + HG spam it, but it's pretty annoying.
    - Stuns: Judgement is AoE stun that is melee weapon only. Shield Strike is shield only and Stun Mace Perfection is mace only. Stun mace works with any weapon, but it it is a very unreliable stun.
    - Soul Breaker: melee weapon only skill and somewhat useful mres debuff

5 pets
    The most common pet for a templar is a heal pet.

On a full RP templar a unique heal pet with Unicorn relic and Nightmare Unity and master devotion would give a bigger boost in patk to your char than any other pet would. If you're starting out aim for a soul pet with 2 8 second heals and pleas of the pious.

It can be useful to use an attack speed unity pet on a templar if you need the added attack speed to make plateaus, but you would need to be able to survive without the pet heals.

6 YouTube channel
    https://YouTube.com/c/BahlUni
    Last edited by BahlUni; 01-04-17, 09:03 PM.

• BahlUni
    commented on 's reply
    Hi,

Yeah, I did do a spear physical breaker + RP build in the last epic. It would do slightly more damage at high plus, but it's a lot of button pressing and the 0.1 s CD lowered it's damage a lot. Though it'll add more dps than a mace and shield on a templar, a merc would do loads more damage with a WS set. I'll add my spear vid as well. Iirc I'm using +20 170 spear, 1 piece of physical breaker gear, 2 of rp, a +24 helmet, a bear belt and a +9 physical breaker card.

• Spazz
    commented on 's reply
    Templars are SHIELD based, if you're not going to use one get off the class.

If only for certain instances, yes it can spike damage however Templars have few skills compared to just auto attacking and the damage bonus isn't very high. Any 2H option would be a Long Bow for some distance on a single target.

2c

• UserLambda
    replied
    Hi, I am wondering if a 2H weapon build is viable for a DPS focused templar. Did you tried it?
    If we do not care about defense and tanking, will 2H weapons will bring more DPS than 1h weapon + shield?

Leave a comment:

• BahlUni
    commented on 's reply
    Heya,

Sorry for the late reply. The best stoned are indeed vit + crit. belt pet wise the 3 wds + 2 macc soul pets + mephisto + crusti + hector matk would be the most useful. One of the problems with salvation spamming is the low matk on gears coupled with the low matk modifier on holy ground. Especially if you hit high mdef mobs. It became less useful in the current epic because they added a fixed cool down of 0.1 seconds. Spamming the AoE was decent, but not extremely OP even before they added the CD.Anything that ups your matk helps so a mw would make you kill faster, but using one makes you get hit for a lot more.
    If you are fighting high mdef mobs, I'd suggest a RP set any day because it's not very effective with a salvation set. The salvation set is a lot cheaper which sometimes makes it a good set to start out in.
    A RP set makes you hit a lot harder and boosts your hp as well.

• Janku7
    commented on 's reply
    Just a little update. I decided to go for x3 s0 WD, s3 kenta, s0 DT, s1 Siren and Mephisto+Soul lunacy cards on my belt. It was the best my budget allowed. I managed to push my m.acc to 900 when buffed and it's enough to hit level 180 monsters in RoA.However I must say I am utterly disappointed. It just feels incredibly weak. I have a feeling that it's utterly useless against big pack of monsters. It takes forever to spam down a pack of lv180 monsters in RoA when I solo.

In fact, it's much faster to take down a pack of RoA monsters just by killing them 1 by 1. It almost feels like salvation spam works against 1 monster but if there is 3+ monsters then the damage drops drastically. Right now as it is,I found it much better to use salvation just once every 15 sec and kill monsters 1 by 1. My salvation damage is around 100-300k, with a 33k patk, 24k matk, 900 m.acc and 340% crit damage buffed. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am considering switching to RP Temp as it seems more effective against packs of mobs.

• Janku7
    replied
    Hello Bahl! I am trying to build salvation templar but I am very lost on what to get. First off in your first guide post you said that the best belt for salvation templar is physical deva but I don't understand how does it benefit salvation spamming templar? Wouldn't anessa or enda be better? I wish I could do the testings myself but sadly I lack the funds...

I know I might sound like I need a bit spoonfeeding but it's because I have been away from the game for a long time and only returned in 9.5! What do you suggest to put on the belt if it's a 8 slot belt? I got x3 s0 WD + mephisto right now but I am not sure how to fill the rest of the 4 slots.

Currently I am going for 3/3/1 TP and I am using +21 CC 1h mace and +20 CC shield (I am level 169). However I am not sure if I should stick to mace+shield or switch to 1H staff+MW? I have asked around alot but nobody seems to know what is best weapon combination. Also how could I improve my macc? I have macc on armor but finding macc gloves is impossible. Should I prioritize rings/earrings/necklaces with Wis+CP+M.acc?

I'm having trouble killing/hitting things right now(600 m.acc only) and I feels very squishy in RoA, sadly because Lunacy boss card don't get triggered by Salvation And my pet heals only do roughly 20k per heal. How do you counter the squishyness of a salvation templar?

Should I use wis+crit stones or vit+crit stones? Right now I use vit+crit but I am not sure if maybe wis+crit is better for lower level templar?

And last, is salvation templar even viable? Or is it more like a fun class but not really practical end-game? Everyone seem to recommend RP templar and I don't understand why? There is not much talk or guides or videos about salvation templar so I hope you can answer some of them
    Last edited by Janku7; 29-10-17, 09:02 PM. Reason: typos

Leave a comment:

• BahlUni
    commented on 's reply
    Yw and correct. You sacrifise several things in that setup. Patk on belt / weapon + doesn't play a huge part on a full RP templar though. It's mainly the lack of accuracy. More acc is only useful if you want to do high level content. DE and MM slaves help with with that as well. But you can improve the setup as you progress, so you wouldn't need as many att speed / block rate things on belt.

• TweekEST
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you so much! This gives me something to work towards to! However I recon all of this att.speed comes at an expense of other stats? Regardless, I'll be much looking forward leveling to 170+ and taking it from there. I understand that with such setup, there is no patck% from belt though.

• BahlUni
    commented on 's reply
    I did a check. With a +20 175 shield, +20 helmet, physical belt, DT buff, 2 thorned shield pieces, 2 belt gnolls, 2 s4 skells, HV buffs, DT pot, enhanced quick pot and some attack speed awakenings you can hit 959. I also made it with full RP setup and a SLK card. during the proc's. It's also at jlvl 100 with lvl 30 shield mastery, a +90 master devotion, a 31 * 1.8% from active guard.
    There is a lot you can improve on in that setup. It should be possible to go for a full RP setup without having to rely on proc effects relatively easily. I'd suggest starting with a VM, MM and DE buffer.

• BahlUni
    commented on 's reply
    Yw and a +20 r2 helmet would give you the extra stats already. Not sure how much those go for on your server, but I'd guess somewhere between 500m and 1.5b. You can also just make one with fortunes, but it takes some time.
    It's allowed to use multi clients since this epic. You can run 3, but some people have issues with it.

• TweekEST
    replied
    So in that case I guess I wont be getting a +20 or higher helmet as it seems rather low upgrade for the cost of 20bil. Also I guess ill stick to anessa and get it to 8 sockwts as an extra belt card and an extra boss card seems to be bery much worth the invesrment. It seems my best bet is to just srag myself to level 170+ with what ever I can get my hands on and only after 170 should I start focusing on gear building?

My PC is rather powerful and I suppose it can multiclient just fine but as far as I remember it's really not posssible nor even allowed.

Thanks for your inputs!

Leave a comment:

• BahlUni
    commented on 's reply
    Oops, I forgot to mention that and thanks Spazz. Attack speed and stat wise for a RP set and startnig with the pets you already own you'd get the most attack speed by belting the s4 hawk, s3 golem, 2 s4 skells, 2 s0 gnolls, Sand Lord Kynnish BC +1 more BC. The SLK
    Using a takin card for the last would give you more attack speed, but I'd try this using a mephisto BC for damage first. I'll try to do some quick test with lower upped shields and helmets getting 959 unbuffed later today.

• Spazz
    commented on 's reply
    For the 7th and 8th slots, they are only boss cards so there's no rush for them, the 1st to 6th function as normal.

• BahlUni
    commented on 's reply
    Hello and welcome back!
    Getting 959 at 160 is pretty hard in your situation. It might be doable with an upped 175 shield (a +22 adds more than a +24 circ one, so it get's cool fast). A +20 helmet adds to all skills except TP skills and recall creature, creature control and luna chip. A physical belt adds something similar, but it misses a few more skills. Neither adds to RP or salvation, but they would add thorned shield and active guard.
    An active guard + adds as much as an additional skill level. It's also possible to use active guard pw gear for buffing and swapping it to something else. Thorned shield pieces will up your attack speed, but it's not likely to be enough without regular buffers. Not sure if your comp can handle multiple clients and whether you want to make some slaves. Otherwise I'd suggest going for the salvation setup. That setup relies on having high matk.
Working...
X