Reduce Your Latency [Udyr's guide]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduce Your Latency [Udyr's guide]

First of all hi everyone who likes and plays Age of Wulin.
    Many of you who have bad gaming experience or have even quit certain games (Wulin included) because of lag, just got another chance to try your network with far less laggy experience.
    - This entire setup will take less then 1 hour of your time, but will permanently improve your overall interner experience!

[INTRODUCTION]
    We all know that Age of Wulin is heavy PvP oriented, where your success depends on your reactions, which indirectly depend on your network latency also known as "ping" or "lag". G.potato's server is great, but routing from other countries towards G.potato's server, is "not so good" so to speak. I'm gonna try and fix this for you, with just tweaking your Windows 7 machine in simple 3 STEPS!
    (without installing any 3rd party programs such as WTFast, Pingzapper and many others.. i DON'T want to pay just to have normal ping!)

[NEW ADDITION TO THE GUIDE]
    ♦ since WTFast is now free program, you can use it to massively improve your routing towards the server, which eliminates all the problems for me.
    ♦ Also, use these in-depth settings made by professional comboed with WTFast for maximized results.

link for WTFast
    link for in-depth guide
    ___ __________________________________________________ _______________ ___
    [SHORT VERSION] For Professionals..

1) Navigate through registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces and in each folder create DWORD (32bit) keys named TcpAckFrequency and TCPNoDelay and set their values to 1 (Hexadecimal).

2) Run command prompt and type in the command: netsh interface tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp.

3) Download the program DNSBench and follow the instructions that the creator gave.
    ___ __________________________________________________ ________________ ___

Alright.. Lets get this started. Read carefully step by step if you are not professional..
    [STEP 1] Enticing Lotuses into the Water
    We will tweak registry entries "TcpAckFrequency" and "TCPNoDelay" which are responsible for Windows 7 TCP protocol handling.

1) Press windows key + R to enter in "Run" command.
    (windows key is next to your alt key on most keyboards. can also be accessed with start menu / run.)

2) Type "Regedit".
    (Regedit is acronym for "Registry edit" you will be doing small registry edits here that can be reverted at any time.)

3) Navigate through registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces.
    (when you find this folder, you will have few more folders within it.. depending on the number of your connections.)

4) In each folder, create a two new registry keys as shown here: "right click on folder -> New -> DWORD (32bit bit) value".

5) Create your new registry key named (case sensitive): TcpAckFrequency.

6) Create another one named (case sensitive): TCPNoDelay.

7) Modify both of these registry keys values to "1" (Hexadecimal).
    (you can modify any registry key by selecting it, then right click - "Modify..".)
    (We are done with step 1. Proceed to step 2.)
    REVERTING CHANGES: If you wish, at any time, to revert the changes made here, just navigate through registry again, and delete these 2 keys we created. Be careful not to delete some other keys, it can permanently damage your system.

[STEP 2] Blooming Flowers
    We will add Flow control to Windows 7 TCP stacks. These are algorithm’s that can ensure you get the most out of your TCP connection.

1) Enter command prompt with admin privileges.
    (go to Start / all programs / accessories / right click on "command prompt" icon and "Run as administrator".)

2) Type in command "netsh interface tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp".
    (you should just get return message "Ok." if done correctly. if not, you might have problems with administrator privilages. how to fix them? try disabling UAC.)
    (We are done with step 2. Proceed to step 3.)
    REVERTING CHANGES: If you wish, at any time, to revert the changes made here, enter the command line in command prompt named "netsh interface tcp set global congestionprovider=none".

[STEP 3] Jade Lotus Reaches the Heavens
    Crucial and most important step. We need to define a DNS server that is most suited for your position, and your internet provider. This will significantly improve your overall internet usage if done correctly.

1) Download utility called "DNSbench" - https://www.grc.com/files/DNSBench.exe.
    (DNSbench is the smallest and yet the cleanest utility used to test your connection towards other public DNS servers. hand-crafted in 100% pure assembly language by Steve Gibson, you might want to check out his web page for more details and software - https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm)

2) Once you run it, it will populate the list with common global DNS servers that are not related to your ISP or location, as this list is fixed and same for everyone. So what you need to do first is - Build your custom top 50 fastest DNS servers list!
    (If you are too lazy to read Steve's instructions, i will break it down for you..)

3) Go to "nameservers" tab -> add/remove -> build custom nameservers list.
    (IMPORTANT NOTE: in order to have the most accurate results, you should exit ALL applications that use up any internet connections. example: torrents, games, youtube etc. Populating list with top 50 nameservers will last approx. 37 minutes.)

4) Run benchmark!
    (once your list is full of servers, you should run this benchmark to see which of these top50 are fastest for you, most consistent, and offer least spikes. you will do this by right clicking anywhere on the list, and sorting them by "uncached performance". uncached performance is green line. Steve explains what each line represents, and why according to him the red one is most important, but i assure you - both red and green one are important, with priority on green!)

5) Pick the best suited DNS server for you! You will do this by sorting your benchmarked list by "uncached performance" and looking at the "Tabular data" tab, next to "Nameservers" tab.
    (looking and comparing fastest servers in "tabular data", we will take a closer look at the numbers. if reliability of the server is ALL 100% take a look at the most important values which are "max" and "std.dev". check out below for more detailed look.)

(if you see only half of the image, right click on image and "View image" or, here's the direct link to the image - http://s26.postimg.org/bmnndq3bd/STE...bular_data.jpg.)
    (after picking best server in Tabular Data, proceed!)

5) Enter the IP of your fresh DNS server into your "preferred DNS server" field (which was most probably automatic until now). To do this, go to: Start -> Control Panel -> Network and sharing Center -> Change Adapter settings -> right click on your connection and go Properties -> select "Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties -> Advanced -> DNS tab -> delete all current DNS you got there, and enter the new one.
    (after you've done all this and hit OK, OK, Close, you need to restart your connection. you will do this by right clicking on your connection and hit "Disable" then "Enable". also, if you want to test more DNS servers, you will only need to restart connection and not entire computer for it each time you want to change.)

(this image is just to make sure you are on the right track when trying to enter new DNS server.)

(We are done with the guide, congratulations!)
    REVERTING CHANGES: If you wish, at any time, to revert the changes made here, just put back to "obtain DNS server automatically" in your IPv4 settings.

PS. This is still UN-FORMATTED, RAW pasted text.. (from older forums). I had to post it here urgently, because i lost all my bookmarks during win7 reinstall.

Ping problems? Check out my improved guide then.

If this guide becomes popular, and accepted like it was on previous forums, i'm gonna re-format it to be nicer looking and actually usable - lal.

Comment

First of all, thanks for sharing, I will be adding this guide into the stickied guide list shortly.

I myself use something similiar (or at least I think it is similiar from what I gathered), called Leatrix Latency Fix. I have been using it for a while and have not had any problems with it so far, not to mention it is a simple configuration file that you just run once, restart and all is done. You can also uninstall it at any time.

Need to submit a ticket? Click here
      Currently Inactive

Comment

• IvanGrozni
        IvanGrozni commented
        Editing a comment
        oh and by the way - i'd like to see signatures on this forums, why aren't they present? o.O

• Zuleyin
        Zuleyin commented
        Editing a comment
        The option to see signatures (and use an avatar) appeared in my forum options after my 15th post plus a small delay of about 5-10 minutes. Quite silly restriction, but oh well. If it's not there for you, it probably warrants a post in the bug forum?

• (VL)Kassariane
        (VL)Kassariane commented
        Editing a comment
        It should work just like Zuleyin described.

it would be much better if webzen moved the server somewhere near the center of europe :P

Comment

I think it's mostly a problem with a weak ISP. Ireland is a business location of choice for its tax laws, not its infrastructure.

(No disrespect intended to any Irish people, this is simply what I've gathered over the years from reports and articles on the topic of location choice for EU branches of non-EU business.)

Age of Wulin Community Text Fixpack
        (also on the Age of Wulin subreddit)

Comment

For some reason the 2) Type in command "netsh interface tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp". command doesnt work in my cmds.

Comment

• IvanGrozni
            IvanGrozni commented
            Editing a comment
            this is because you didnt had admin privilages in command prompt, my guide is updated now with Zuleyin's tip, that i somehow ommited .)

• IDejavu
            IDejavu commented
            Editing a comment
            I do have admin on the computer it's mine lol

Yeah, setting netshell values requires admin privileges on the command prompt. That's what disabling the UAC is for, but Udyr tells you to do that AFTER explaining the command.

It's easier to just open a command window with admin privileges, I think. I'd suggest replacing the instructions like this:

[STEP 2] Blooming Flowers
          We will add Flow control to Windows 7 TCP stacks. These are algorithm’s that can ensure you get the most out of your TCP connection.

1) Enter command prompt with admin privileges.
          (Click the Windows Start button, then type in "cmd" (into the input field at the bottom of the menu). You will see cmd.exe in the results. Right-click this and select "Run as administrator".)

Rest should be fine, just take out the advice about disabling UAC. People who need instructions on how to do that generally are better off keeping UAC in place. Helps make the internet a bit less of a virus colony.

Comment

• IvanGrozni
            IvanGrozni commented
            Editing a comment
            you are right, i could have added the "run as admin" Fixed now, thanks for the tip!
            by having UAC turned on, you gain nothing good btw .)

PS. thanks for nice editing .)

Oh, and one more thing: for people who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING (because I'm way too lazy to make a guide like Udyr did and won't accept any responsibility for your misuse of this program), I found the SpeedGuide.net TCP Optimizer to be an awesome all-in-one tool. Exposes a lot of values you don't generally see mentioned in the various optimization guides across the net, plus has some handy "max MTU" computer built in.

But again: use with caution, you can easily break your connection with this (which wouldn't mean a windows reinstall, but you'd need to reset all your network settings, which again takes know-how). You have been warned.

Comment

There is a problem !! my Pc is windos 8 wat i do ???? :/

Comment

I'm gonna try and fix this for you, with just tweaking your Windows 7 machine in simple 3 STEPS!

Comment

• IvanGrozni
                IvanGrozni commented
                Editing a comment
                ahahaha - epic
                i really dont know, as i never tried win8.. Install win7? :P

or listen to Ryu's advice .)

Not even sure if Nagle's Algorithm is activated on Windows 8, never played around with one, but it is on by default on any Windows 7 machine.

SIDENOTE: Leatrix Latency Fix is more or less the TCP frequency adjustment, and it supports Windows 8, so if you feel like giving it a shot just download it
              http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html
              There is a particularly mean fox on the forums, stay 10 feet away from her at all times.

Comment

Check out ->
                [NEW ADDITION TO THE GUIDE]
                for total improvement.

Comment

in new WTF - should i chose custom game or age of wulin or age of wulin(webzen)?

Comment

• IvanGrozni
                    IvanGrozni commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Custom game. Game executable is Fxgame.exe in your BIN folder.
                    Game launcher is Fxgame in your root wulin folder.
                    Select manual connection, and sort by ping.

Tried the free WTF the other night got about an 8-14% overall improvement (It said) From direct observation I can say that in three hours or so my Ping indicator never flashed orange or red even in Chengdu...! Combined Ping + Server delay never exceeded 120 and was typically 80 or less. Ping stayed pretty fixed in the low 40's

Only time will tell but I heartily encourage anybody with ping variance or normal ping over 100 to try this free WTF version Udyr listed and linked above!
                  Maxim 35 "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error"
                  ​​
                  ​Fun Fact: Carpets arranged in the shape of a P**is Adds to your Houses Feng Shui

Comment

• Caswallon
                    Caswallon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ...Duh... & LOL! Server time out caused double post. Maybe the forum Servers need a WTF uplink...!

• Caswallon
                    Caswallon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh I did. My backwards compliments to the "Gentlemen" of UX & RC last night that helped prove, that while I still suck, I suck a little less than I did in free for all PvP.

Also ran a GCC Shura the other night the whole game remained responsive even in a mad Boss+sins vs 12 maniacs slugfest. Previously I had noticed the occasional stutter during such fights.

And yes I did immediately feel that the game seemed a bit more clean and responsive - Why it almost felt we were back to Immortal legend (Update) levels of server response.

• IvanGrozni
                    IvanGrozni commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LOL your backwards compliment xD
                    yeah, Immortal legends had best connection so far, without any program, stable 50.. but with this, it's even better..

So i started using the free version of WTFast, my ping have been improved, when i'm pvping usually i can't even parry when someone is using counters but with WTFast now i can sometimes, but i have a problem, i play the game usually with 50-60 fps max graphics, when i'm using WTFast my fps drops to 40 and sometimes i get some annoying fps drop for like a split second, almost like a screen freeze, anyone know why? It happens every 5-10 seconds

Comment

• Caswallon
                    Caswallon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah same here.

However just to be sure; have you noticed if you were getting a PM at the precise moment of a screen freeze? That's a know issue and means you need to delete/move the chat logs in your game client folder.

But yeah WTFast free also hits me with inexplicable frame rate drops as well. I have tested it as best I can and am sure its a quirk of this otherwise great application???
                    I think its a processor priority issue as WTFast checks its using the fastest connection route so I may dicker around with manually assigning processor priority (use with caution may cause crashes if you don't know what your doing) to confirm my suspicions.

• RoxasGR
                    RoxasGR commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I fixed the sudden fps drop, i just enabled the vertical sync in the game settings.
                Working...
                X