Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Fan mod / Fixpack] Community Gametext Fixpack (last update: 2016-04-19)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fan mod / Fixpack] Community Gametext Fixpack (last update: 2016-04-19)

Important: I apologize for my disappearance, but due to a chain of RL events including the death of a very close person I won't continue playing AoW nor working on this patch. If anyone is interested in taking up the role of maintainer, send me a PM here on the forum. I'll check periodically for at least a while.

Thanks for all the nice words I've received in the past for this project, and for all the good times in the game. I know I'll miss this game and all of you oddballs playing it.

----------------------------------------

Navigation:
    1. Description (this post)
    2. Files
    3. Credits + History
    Description

This is (the non-Reddit repost of) an attempt to fix some of the most glaring problems with the game interface and texts. It is a replacement pack for the official text definitions, with no changes to any game functionality whatsoever (unless you count better grammar or less cut-off texts as such) - it is not meant to circumvent the chat filter or make it easier to spam / bot / hack. The project is based on Syrene's Crit Fix and includes Tianying's and my own further works, with additional translation help by members of the community. If any of you would like to offer additions, please feel free to do so!

To address concerns on the legality of this project, please see the last post on this page and use your own judgement. Webzen Community Managers are well aware of its existence and tolerate it, in fact they have even worked with me to improve the project. As mentioned above, this will not ever contain actual in-game advantages or hacks.

(Also see this and this post in this thread for an "official seal of approval" by the staff. Thank you! )

Note:

I would like to direct your attention to this page on the Official Age of Wulin Wiki, where anybody can help report text errors and suggest fixes. Of course suggestions made in this thread will also be fine, but on the wiki page they can be collected more easily and may also eventually find their way into the official files.

What does this fix contain?
    Example screenshot gallery
    • Shortened text labels in many windows, to reduce cut-off texts
    • Grammar / readability fixes to many of the most common messages
    • The original "Crit fix", meaning, you will be able to see your critical hit damage just like normal damage
      (Note: the official game has since received its own crit fix. This project is completely compatible with that though - you simply swap one crit fix for another, equal one).
    • Some missing / garbled quest texts, such as the RG 2nd inner quest stage for the Huanhua faction run
    • Some renamed NPCs / Creatures - "Soliders" rejoice, you are real "Soldiers" again; "Scared Wood" is less scary and more "Sacred"; but also plural -> singular changes, i.e. renamed mob names such that they refer to the single person, not a group of them ("Jianghu People" -> "Jianghu Person")
    • Some internal changes to formatting that won't actually affect the text display, but are more coherent for further text editing
    • Too much other stuff to fill this post with it

Installation Instructions

There were two versions of the fixpack in the past, the older archive of loose files and the new single replacement file. The loose-file version has since been deprecated in favor of the much easier to handle single file solution. In case you ever want to see the plain text contents, feel free to drop a private message. I will NOT provide the repackaging tool though, so don't ask for that.
    1. If you have never installed any version of the pack:
      Locate your ..\Age of Wulin\res\ directory and remove the file text.package (move it to a safe location so you can repair your installation in case something goes wrong).
      (If you installed the game to the default location, it should be at C:\Program Files (x86)\Age of Wulin\res\)
    2. Applying the fixpack:
      Download the current "Patched game file" and put it into your ..\Age of Wulin\res\ folder - done.
    IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG:
    Put the ORIGINAL game file text.package back into ..\Age of Wulin\res\. Simple as that.
    (Use either your backup file, which will still be on the game's patch level from the time you did step 1 of the Installation Instructions, so it might be out-of-date; or use the one I provide for your convenience in the Files section)

IF THE GAME GETS A NEW PATCH AND THE FIX IS NOT UPDATED YET:
    Just update anyway. The patcher may overwrite some of the files this fixpack made changes to, and you will see some of the old, unfixed text all over the place, but it won't actually break anything critical to the game's functionality. You can then check back here regularly until a new version of the fixpack is uploaded and overwrite the 'mixed' file.

Age of Wulin Community Text Fixpack
    (also on the Age of Wulin subreddit)

The Files
    • Modified replacement file:
      -- Patched game file v2 version 0.0.1.074 (Uncharted World): click me
    • For convenience:
      -- Current ORIGINAL, unaltered game file version 0.0.1.056-058: click me

Comment

Credits
      • Syrene - original creator of the project
      • Tianying - contributions to chess arrays and certain item name disambiguations
      • Excalibur - helped translating some text strings from Chinese that were missing in the English version
      • MidnightHR - more translations from Chinese to English
      • Kassariane - found a great way to improve certain item tooltips

History
      • 2013-11-24 - Initial upload, patch level 0.0.1.022
      • 2013-12-23 - Update for patch 0.0.1.023
      • 2014-01-21 - (game version update to 0.0.1.026, but text.package was not modified)
      • 2014-01-24 - Single file patch solution introduced
      • 2014-02-18 - (Game version update to 0.0.1.028, but text.package was not modified)
      • 2014-04-01 - (Game version update to 0.0.1.029, but text.package was not modified)
      • 2014-05-05 - Update for Chapter 1/2: Immortal Legends (0.0.1.032)
      • 2014-05-26 - Update for patch 0.0.1.033; loose-file solution retired
      • 2014-06-17 - Update for patch 0.0.1.034
      • 2014-07-08 - Update for patch 0.0.1.035
      • 2014-07-29 - (Game version update to 0.0.1.036, but text.package was not modified)
      • 2014-08-22 - (Game version update to 0.0.1.037, but text.package was not modified)
      • 2014-09-06 - Some additional changes, including missing effect descriptions on certain hidden weapons
      • 2014-12-05 - Update for Chapter 3: Wisdom Is A Journey (v0.0.1.038) (sorry it took so long x_x)
      • 2014-12-06 - Previous update was missing some data, fixed now
      • 2014-12-23 - Update for patch 0.0.1.039
      • 2015-02-10 - (Game version update to 0.0.1.040, but text.package was not modified)
      • 2015-03-15 - Update for patch 0.0.1.046 (Betrayal & Forgiveness) (again, sorry it took so long)
      • 2015-03-28 - Additional changes
      • 2015-03-31 - Update for patch 0.0.1.047
      • 2015-04-28 - Update for patch 0.0.1.049 (Heaven's Ascent)
      • 2015-05-07 - Official game forum post
      • 2015-07-02 - Update for patch 0.0.1.050 (Blood & Flowers)
      • 2015-07-28 - Update for patch 0.0.1.051
      • 2015-08-30 - Update for patch 0.0.1.053 (Awakening)
      • 2015-09-10 - Update for patch 0.0.1.054
      • 2015-09-22 - Update for patch 0.0.1.055
      • 2015-10-29 - Update for patch 0.0.1.056
      • 2015-11-03 - (Game version update to 0.0.1.057, but text.package was not modified)
      • 2015-12-15 - (Game version update to 0.0.1.058, but text.package was not modified)
      • 2016-03-08 - Update for patch 0.0.1.071 (Uncharted World)
      • 2016-03-10 - Additional changes for patch 0.0.1.071
      • 2016-03-16 - Update for patch 0.0.1.072
      • 2016-03-29 - Update for patch 0.0.1.073
      • 2016-04-19 - Update for patch 0.0.1.074
      • 2016-06-21 - (Game version update to 0.0.1.075, but text.package was not modified)
      • 2016-07-05 - (Game version update to 0.0.1.076, but text.package was not modified)
      • 2016-08-16 - (Game version update to 0.0.1.077, but text.package was not modified)

Comment

I hope a certain mean fox lady will now be satisfied and stop harassing me about making this post.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Mean fox person is very satisfied, thank you Zuleyin!

To address concerns on the legality of this project, please see the last post on this page and use your own judgement. Webzen Community Managers are well aware of its existence and tolerate it, in fact they have even worked with me to improve the project. As mentioned above, this will not ever contain actual in-game advantages or hacks.
            For anyone still being worried about this, I confirm that what Zuleyin said is correct and the team is fully aware of this community fixpack's existence and fully support it. You do not need to be worried about any actions taken against you in case you decide to use this textpack, or decide to help Zuleyin improve it with your own additions.

Need to submit a ticket? Click here
            Currently Inactive

Comment

Brilliant job there Zuleyin! I'll see to it that your newest textpack will be know.

It is known.
              Age of Wulin Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Reddit
              If you need to submit a ticket, click here.
              If you have any other QA and CS related questions, feel free to send me a PM!

Comment

Can we not drag out a special reward for those that did this? Maybe a custom in game title "Sage of Languages" or something!
                Maxim 35 "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error"
                ​​
                ​Fun Fact: Carpets arranged in the shape of a P**is Adds to your Houses Feng Shui

Comment

• Zuleyin
                  Zuleyin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol, appreciate the suggestion but (for me at least) it's really not necessary. I'm pretty happy with my "Matchless Elite" (keeping my chess rank at 9 just so I won't lose it).

If anything, I'd be much happier about more people contributing. I mainly need pointers at what bothers everybody the most, and maybe replacement suggestions. That would show me the project is appreciated!

Updated (posting to get thread marked on "recent posts")

Comment

Hi Sage of Languages! Question for Zuleyin if I may:
                  Can the white on near white text in the guild member page be tweaked? I admit I have no idea how hard or otherwise this is I suspect its no picnic or you would have already done this but if it is possible I thought here was the place to ask
                  Maxim 35 "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error"
                  ​​
                  ​Fun Fact: Carpets arranged in the shape of a P**is Adds to your Houses Feng Shui

Comment

• Zuleyin
                    Zuleyin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know what you mean, but I'm not sure I can do something about that. I'll have a look.

Edit: no, can't apply color tweaks in the menu. The UI design definitions aren't in the package I work with. I might try to work out how to change that context menu background back to black at some point and send the fix to Knux or Rey, so they can have it implemented in an official patch.

• Caswallon
                    Caswallon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Appreciate your efforts Sir! I now a color change might be outside what you can safely tinker with but I guessed if anybody would know it'd be you

Wow forum moderators doing the jobs of the tech people? Somebody give them a raise!!

Comment

• Boduo
                    Boduo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    From €0 to €1 can still be considered a raise. And yes for this great job they should be compensated (Good pat on the back?)

• Zuleyin
                    Zuleyin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I appreciate the sentiment, nice pat indeed.

But I don't want any payment. That would add an air of "a job" to the project that would take all the fun out of it. Appreciation is worth more to me.

• Boduo
                    Boduo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well just know that it is very well appreciated

I've found a small problem with the text (it could be from the game or something went wrong on my PC). The description of the last array buff when being a chess player (the notorious 25% crit buff) gives an error instead of the description. All the rest seems fine to me.

Comment

• Zuleyin
                    Zuleyin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the report, found the error and corrected it. Will go into the next upload, but I'm not sure yet if I do one before the patch (I can basically forget about internet for half an hour while uploading those files).

Bump for update (should include the 25% crit array description).

Comment

Bump, added the following to the main description:
                    Note:

I would like to direct your attention to this page on the Official Age of Wulin Wiki, where anybody can help report text errors and suggest fixes. Of course suggestions made in this thread will also be fine, but on the wiki page they can be collected more easily and may also eventually find their way into the official files.

Comment

New version bump.

Comment

Working...
                      X